Happy Earth Day!
I agree with Elon Musk when he says Hong Kong is perfectly poised to be a global leader in sustainable cities and a model for other urban centres to follow.
Our home has changed significantly since I wrote my vision for Hong Kong in 2005. Today, we have electric vehicles, recycling bins, sustainability conversations and a review of biodiversity.
5 actions to make a difference
- Carry a water bottle — We throw out 5 million plastic bottles every day. Imagine the oil energy trapped in our landfills and floating in our seas. Recent suggestions include a deposit scheme to encourage recycling.
- Turn off the water while you are brushing your teeth — We are fortunate to have a fresh water supply we can drink from the tap and
- Clean your air conditioning units — Improve energy efficiency and save money with regular cleaning. Contact your landlord who may cover the costs but be prepared to pay in the name of savings.
- Learn how to recycle — Using the bins around town takes a little know-how so the WWF has prepared a short how-t0-recycle animation to make it easier.
- Use public transportation — Hong Kong has one of the most envied systems on the planet in terms of efficiency and prices. Rush hour crowds are a small price to pay for the energy we save by travelling together.
Each year, I share my vision for Hong Kong — read it here.
Can you see it?
Photo by Kinzie