Water is our precious resource. Manage it wisely for healthy living.
* Run the tap before use.
* Avoid using water from hot water taps for drinking or cooking.
* Regularly clean all taps and shower heads.
* Do not hang towels and cloths on the tap.
* Remove residue from cleaning products.
* Ventilate bathroom and cooking areas.
* Repair dripping taps.
* Follow instructions on use and maintenance of domestic water filters.
* Let water stand in a container for a few minutes to allow air bubbles to escape.
Flouridation of the water supply in Hong Kong has been implemented since 1961 in accordance with the advice of the Department of Health as a preventative measure to reduce dental decay in the community. Chlorine is added to water to keep it free from bacterial growth during distribution — it will evaporate during boiling or after 24 hours of sitting.