The premier of The Wisdom of Trauma film was the beginning of the work of healing trauma.
Join this special 4-day live online interactive workshop with Dr. Gabor Maté and Betsy Polatin where we discover the wisdom of our wounds in leading us back to wholeness.
Recordings will be available to attendees
Trauma shapes our lives. It shapes the way we live, the way we love and the way we make sense of the world. It is at the root of our deepest wounds. Virtually all our afflictions, mental illnesses, physical diseases stem from trauma. Trauma distorts our view of reality and leaves us stuck in contraction, defense and reactivity. It compromises our capacity to be in the moment, to be present to our relationships and to fully take in the environment.
The wisdom in the trauma comes through when we realize that our traumatic responses and imprints are not us, that we can follow all traumatic responses back to their source, work through them, let them dissipate and thus reconnect to the unblemished, ecstatic consciousness that we were born with.
This program will feature Dr. Gabor Maté’s unique therapeutic approach and teaching, Compassionate Inquiry, enhanced by movement and breathwork led by Betsy Polatin MFA, SEP.
In this workshop, we will learn to:
- Uncover unconscious feeling states and access early traumatic events
- Disentangle from unconscious patterns that no longer serve us
- Develop self-compassion through the Compassionate Inquiry technique
- Discover the wisdom of our body
- Use meditation and breathing practices to generate calm and stability
- Cultivate patience, respect and choice in the healing process
The program is suitable for therapists, spiritual seekers, and anyone looking for a profound, experiential understanding of their traumatic imprint and the hidden beliefs that sustain it.
(*) Become a SAND Supporter and Get a Discount
Supporters receive a $50 discount on Discovering the Wisdom of Trauma (and a discount on all webinars). Membership also includes discounts on all SAND events, exclusive access to collections of SAND event recordings, and free past years webinars. Your support enables SAND to continue offering quality content, including free programming. SAND is a 501.c.3 non-profit organization, and all donations are tax-deductible.
Looking forward to sharing this journey with you.
The SAND Team
Science And Nonduality (SAND) is a community inspired by timeless wisdom, informed by cutting-edge science, and grounded in personal experience. We come together in an openhearted exploration of the big questions of life to embody our interconnectedness and celebrate our humanity.
Science and Nonduality
1251 Gold Ridge Road
Sebastopol, CA 95472
United States of America
Can our deepest pain be a doorway to healing?
Trauma is the invisible force that shapes our lives. It shapes the way we live, the way we love and the way we make sense of the world. It is the root of our deepest wounds.
“The difference between passion and addiction is that between a divine spark and a flame that incinerates.” Gabor Maté
We hold the vision of a world that breaks free of cycles of trauma and becomes more open and inclusive. It all starts with us, truly. It starts when we allow our wounds to teach us about listening, self-love and compassion and to remind us of the preciousness of life.
Then truth opens our hearts and our innate wisdom begins to shine through our wounds.
“The film follows physician, bestselling author and Order of Canada recipient Dr. Gabor Maté and explores the hidden wisdom of our deepest pain and the interconnected epidemics of anxiety, addiction, and chronic illness plaguing Western society.” yahoo!finance
Dr. Maté gives us a new vision: a trauma-informed society seeks to understand the sources from which troubling behaviors and diseases spring in the wounded human soul.
Dr. Gabor Maté brings to the forefront the importance of looking at the impact of trauma in our world. This is a powerful movie and talk series with the potential to positively impact millions of people.
“Not every story has a happy ending … but the discoveries of science, the teachings of the heart, and the revelations of the soul all assure us that no human being is ever beyond redemption. The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists. How to support that possibility in others and in ourselves is the ultimate question.” Gabor Maté
With this film, we hope to touch many people, begin a conversation, and develop a common understanding about how trauma impacts our individual lives, communities and society as a whole.
The Wisdom of Trauma movie is available with subtitles in English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish and Turkish.
Dr Gabor Maté
Dr Maté is a renowned speaker, bestselling author, and an expert on a range of topics including addiction, stress and childhood development.
Rather than offering quick-fix solutions to these complex issues, he weaves together scientific research, case histories, and his own insights and experience to present a broad perspective that enlightens and empowers people to promote their own healing and that of those around them.
“Not all addictions are rooted in abuse or trauma, but I do believe they can all be traced to painful experience. A hurt is at the centre of all addictive behaviours. It is present in the gambler, the Internet addict, the compulsive shopper and the workaholic. The wound may not be as deep and the ache not as excruciating, and it may even be entirely hidden—but it’s there. As we’ll see, the effects of early stress or adverse experiences directly shape both the psychology and the neurobiology of addiction in the brain.” Gabor Maté
Talks on Trauma series with renouned experts
Upgrade to the All-Access Pass and get a full course by Dr. Maté, downloadable access to the Talks on Trauma series and many other materials to work with trauma at a special rate for supporters.
- Opening Introduction with Gabor Maté, Maurizio & Zaya Benazzo, and special guest Raffi
- Somatic Abolitionism: Nurturing Healing Communities with Resmaa Menakem & Gabor Maté
- Healing Trauma in a Fractured World with Thomas Hübl & Gabor Maté
Trauma and the Nervous System from the Polyvagal Theory Perspective with Stephen W. Porges & Gabor Maté
- A Vision for Compassionate Prison with Fritzi Horstman, Nneka Jones Tapia, & Gabor Maté
- Examining the Root Cause of Addiction in Indigenous Communities with Gina Perez-Baron, Pat McCabe, Daniel RYNO Herrera, & Gabor Maté
Broken Connections: Healing Strategies for Trauma and Attachment with Diane Poole Heller & Gabor Maté
- Relationships as Mirrors of Our Trauma with Esther Perel & Gabor Maté
- Self-expression and Mindfulness in Healing with Alanis Morissette & Gabor Maté
- Trauma and the Somatic Connection with Peter A. Levine & Gabor Maté
MetaMusic Journey: An Immersive Sound Experience for Inner Voyagers with Laura Inserra
- Building Intergenerational Trauma Sensitivity & Awareness with Gabor Maté, Dan Siegel, Sará King & Angel Acosta
- Psychedelic Therapy for Trauma Healing with Rick Doblin, Françoise Bourzat, Marcela Ot’Alora, & Gabor Maté
- Sensitivity, Creativity and Pain in a Traumatizing Culture with Sia & Gabor Maté
- The Importance of Holotropic States in the Field of Psychotherapy with Stan Grof
- The Trauma in the Body of the World with V (formerly Eve Ensler) & Dr. Gabor Maté
- Closing Remarks & Event Wrap-Up with Rae Maté, Fritzi Horstman, Romie Nottage, Tessa Rose, Juthaporn Chaloeicheep, Gabor Maté, Zaya & Maurizio Benazzo
In the news
How dealing with past trauma may be the key to breaking addiction (24 Nov 2018 – The Guardian)
‘How we cope with this has a lot to do with our past’ (31 Jan 2021 – The Independent)
Amid rising hostility toward drug users in Vancouver, Gabor Maté urges empathy (25 Sept 2020 – CBC News)
Adults are more important than peers to kids during COVID-19 pandemic, child development expert says (15 April 2021 – CTV News)
Dr. Gabor Maté reflects on the opioid crisis 10 years after In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts (31 August 2018 – CBC News)
Join our community and get details about local screenings and discussions hosted by our members.